Come Ride with Us!
Immerse yourself in an authentic working cattle ranch experience on a scenic horseback ride, cattle drive, pasture move, riding for strays or checking fence lines as the Wilson family has for seven generations. Wilson Ranches Retreat is in a geologically and historically rich area of Wheeler County. As you ride the high desert hills of Eastern Oregon your senses will be awakened by the breathtaking views and big-sky horizons in all directions. Look up as there may be a red-tailed hawk flying over or a great horned owl looking down from the aspen above. Rein your horse in a cattle trail or blaze your own as you weave through the juniper trees and sagebrush. A ranch ride offers incredible opportunities for wildlife viewing and seeing nature unfold with bunch grass valleys and hill sides blanketed in wildflowers in the late spring and through the summer. The quarter horses are incredibly sure footed and apt in the rocky terrain on Wilson Ranches. Ride through the history of the Old West where the early homesteaders and the Wilson family have carved out their lives on the trails you will ride.
- The ranch quarter horses are ideal for both experienced and beginner riders.
- Varied sizes of cowboy boots, cowboy hats and saddle bags available for your ride.
Children ages four and older may participate in scenic ranch rides.
Recommended Riding Gear
Being properly outfitted will increase your comfort and confidence in the saddle.
- Cowboy hat or cap (should fit snugly or have stampede strings)
- Guests are welcome to bring a bike or riding helmet
- Western shirt or long sleeved shirt (protect your neck and arms against junipers, dust and sun exposure)
- Cowboy scarf or bandana
- Jeans or long pants
- Boots (smooth sole with heel, pull-on preferred)
- Layers: Sweatshirt, vest, jacket, rain gear (extra layers can be secured with your saddle strings)
- Canteen/Water Bottle
- Toiletries (sunscreen, lip balm, personal care items)
- Winter clothing: Winter cap, waterproof gloves, heavy jacket, rain or snow pants (from October through June the weather can be cold and windy)
- Purses, backpacks and other valuables should be left in your vehicle
Rates per rider
|1-3 Riders||4+ Riders|
|$45 – 1 Hour||$40 – 1 Hour|
|$25 – Per Additional Hour||$25 – Per Additional Hour|
Reserve Your Horse & Saddle
To reserve your horse and saddle for a scenic ranch ride, please contact us before your arrival at 541.763.2227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are unable to guarantee horseback riding unless prior arrangements have been made.
Horseback Riding Policies
- All riders are required to read and sign a Wilson Ranches Retreat LLC, Wilson Ranches LLC, and Wilson Ranches H&H, LLC Liability Waiver. They are available for prior review and are supplied to ranch guests at check in. The wranglers can assist you in understanding the purpose and content of the forms and answer any questions you may have. If you wish to download your waiver prior to your visit to our ranch, please click one of these links: Adult Waiver (riders 18 and older) Minor Waiver (riders under 18)
- Wilson Ranches Retreat wrangler(s) accompany guests on all rides
- All riders must be able to demonstrate their ability to safely and consistently rein their horse
- For rider safety and the health of our horses we do not allow double riding
- To stay seated in your saddle, no alcohol consumption is allowed prior to/or during a ride
- To ensure your ride does not turn into a range firefighting experience, there is no smoking permitted
- For your safety, the maximum weight allowance for riders is 225 lbs
- As a family operation we rarely have enough hands to return a fatigued or uncomfortable rider to the corral. Should you be joining a cattle drive or large group, please be discerning with your ability to ride long distances and be in inclement weather
- Rides may be cancelled due to weather or any other unsafe conditions (thunderstorms)
- Should we have any extreme temperatures the rides will be directly after breakfast or in the evening
- All activities subject to safe and appropriate weather conditions
- As a working cattle and hay ranch we occasionally have scheduling changes due to unforeseen circumstances
- For your safety and the safety of others, DO NOT go near the horses when they are tied up to the fences at the corral
- For your safety and the safety of others, DO NOT get on or off your horse without an employee of Wilson Ranches Retreat, LLC or Wilson Ranches H&H, LLC holding your horse
Under Oregon Law, ORS 30.687 to 30.697, an equine professional is not liable for an injury to or the death of a participant in equine activities resulting from the inherent risks of equine activities.