Come Ride with Us!
Wilson Ranches Retreat B&B guests can join the Wilson family on horseback rides. Immerse yourself in an authentic working cattle ranch experience on a scenic horseback ride, cattle drive, pasture move, riding for strays or checking fence lines as the Wilson family has for seven generations. Wilson Ranches Retreat is in a geologically and historically rich area of Wheeler County. As you ride the high desert hills of Eastern Oregon your senses will be awakened by the breathtaking views and big-sky horizons in all directions. Look up as there may be a red-tailed hawk flying over or a great horned owl looking down from the aspen above. Rein your horse in a cattle trail or blaze your own as you weave through the juniper trees and sagebrush. A ranch ride offers incredible opportunities for wildlife viewing and seeing nature unfold with bunch grass valleys and hill sides blanketed in wildflowers in the late spring and through the summer. The quarter horses are incredibly sure footed and apt in the rocky terrain on Wilson Ranches. Ride through the history of the Old West where the early homesteaders and the Wilson family have carved out their lives on the trails you will ride.
- The ranch quarter horses are ideal for both experienced and beginner riders.
- Varied sizes of cowboy boots, cowboy hats and saddle bags available for your ride.
Children ages four and older may participate in scenic ranch rides.
Recommended Riding Gear
Being properly outfitted will increase your comfort and confidence in the saddle.
- Cowboy hat or cap (should fit snugly or have stampede strings)
- Guests are welcome to bring a bike or riding helmet
- Western shirt or long sleeved shirt (protect your neck and arms against junipers, dust and sun exposure)
- Cowboy scarf or bandana
- Jeans or long pants
- Boots (smooth sole with heel, pull-on preferred)
- Layers: Sweatshirt, vest, jacket, rain gear (extra layers can be secured with your saddle strings)
- Canteen/Water Bottle
- Toiletries (sunscreen, lip balm, personal care items)
- Winter clothing: Winter cap, waterproof gloves, heavy jacket, rain or snow pants (from October through June the weather can be cold and windy)
- Purses, backpacks and other valuables should be left in your vehicle
Rates per rider
|$55 – 1 Hour|
|$35 – Per Additional Hour|
Reserve Your Horse & Saddle
When you have booked your ranch vacation, reserve your horse and saddle for a scenic ranch ride, please contact us before your arrival at 541.763.2227 or email email@example.com. We are unable to guarantee horseback riding unless prior arrangements have been made. Riding will not be available from September 30th to October 11th.
Cancellations must be received for morning rides by 6 pm on the day of arrival. Evening rides need to be cancelled by 10 am. If notice is not provided, then the guest is responsible for the cost of their ride.
Horseback Riding Policies
Under Oregon Law, ORS 30.687 to 30.697, an equine professional is not liable for an injury to or the death of a participant in equine activities resulting from the inherent risks of equine activities.